How to Program Your Garage Door Opener Remote
With the development of technology, almost all machines have an automatic feature now. That is also true for a garage door powered by a garage door opener. The opener uses a radio frequency to open or close the garage automatically using a switch or a remote device. Today, all garage doors have an opener unless you prefer a manual garage door.
Since the garage door opener remote works wirelessly, it requires programming, which may vary depending on the model. If you don’t know how to program your garage door opener remote, then you have come to the right place. Here’s everything you need to know about garage door opener programming:
Table of Contents
What You Need to Program Your Garage Door Remote
- Remote Batteries
Programming a garage door opener is no easy task. You need to follow the instructions listed in the manual. And programming may differ depending on the brand of opener.
To program a garage door opener, you only need a screwdriver to open the remote device to change the batteries — a possible crucial step in programming the opener. But aside from the screwdriver, you also need the knowledge and skills to follow the guide on the manual.
So, if you are not confident, there’s no harm in calling for garage door services. As part of their garage door repair, they can program your opener following the instructions on the manual.
How to Program a Liftmaster garage door Opener
The Liftmaster is one of the in-demand brands of garage door openers in the market. So if you have one, here are the steps on how to program Liftmaster garage door opener:
- To have access to the motor unit, remove the panel located on the side or back of the opener.
- Push the “Learn” button for about 30 seconds. It is usually beside a colored LED light and the antenna.
- Within 30 seconds after step 2, press the desired program button on the remote device for about three seconds. The LED light on the remote should blink, and the garage door opener’s light should turn on.
- Test the button on the device if it works. If it is unresponsive, repeat the steps above for Liftmaster garage door opener programming.
How to Program A Garage Door Craftsman Opener
Craftsman is one of the garage door companies that offer top-notch garage door openers. So, if you are using the Craftsman garage door opener, here are steps in programming the unit with the remote device:
- For about 30 seconds, press the “Learn” button located at the back of the opener. Wait for the LED light beside to turn off.
- Press the desired program button on the remote device.
- While pressing a button on the remote device, push the “SRT” button at the back of the opener. Wait until a light flashes in the opener.
- If you have multiple control devices, repeat steps 1-3 for the other remote controls.
- Test the responsiveness and repeat the above steps if it does not work.
How to Program a Chamberlain Garage Door Opener
Lastly, the Chamberlain is another famous brand of garage door openers among homeowners. So, if you own a Chamberlain garage door opener, follow these steps to program it with the remote device:
- Locate the “Learn” button of the opener. It is usually at the back or on one of the sides of the unit.
- Press the “Learn” button for about 30 seconds.
- Within 30 seconds after step 2, push the desired program button for about three seconds.
- Wait until a light appears on the garage door opener or until hearing two clicks.
- If it doesn’t work, repeat the steps above for Chamberlain garage door opener programming.
As you notice, the steps presented above are basically the same but with slight differences. So if you have another brand of garage door opener, you can use them as a guide, then follow the added instructions on your manual. Just make sure to follow the manual.
How to Change Battery in Garage Door Opener Remote
There are times when your garage door opener becomes unresponsive no matter how many times you click the remote device. Before worrying about a garage door repair, check the batteries first if it has already worn out. Try replacing them and test if the garage door opens or closes. Also, there are times when the range of the remote device decreases over time. Again, it is better to replace the batteries first before going for a garage door opener repair. If changing the batteries did not solve the unresponsive and frequency issue of the garage door opener, it is time to call for a garage door technician to diagnose the problem accurately.
How to Reset Garage Door Opener
When you lose your garage door opener remote device, it is best to reset the garage door opener to prevent unauthorized entries.
Like how you program the garage door opener, you can also reset the opener using the “Learn” button. You can follow these steps:
- Press the “Learn” button for about six seconds or until its LED indicator turns off.
- Then, push the “Learn” button again until its LED indicator turns off.
- The programs within the garage door opener are now reset to default.
The steps above are the general instructions on how to reset a garage door opener. Always check and follow your manual for more accurate procedures.
How to Set Up Garage Door Opener in Car
If your car has a built-in garage door opener button, you need to connect it with the opener by following these simple and doable steps:
- Gently press the “Learn” button. Avoid press and hold since you can reset the opener that way.
- Find and push the opener’s button in your car. Usually, it is at the bottom of the Rear-view Mirror or the sun visor at the driver’s side.
- Immediately press the garage door opener’s in your car after step 1. Wait until you see a flash on the car’s button or the opener.
- Test and repeat steps 1-3 if the programming does not work. Make sure to press the button at the car immediately after pressing the “Learn” button of the opener.
Where to Buy Garage Door Opener Remote
When you install the garage door opener, it comes with a remote device. But if you lose it unexpectedly, you probably don’t know where to buy one.
Luckily, you can easily purchase a new garage door opener remote on the internet, a hardware store (like Home Depot), or any shop authorized by the manufacturers.
With your newly purchased remote control device, reset the garage door opener and program it with the steps presented earlier.
Since most garage doors are now automatic, it is your responsibility to know a thing or two about programming a garage door opener. With the presented programming guide — hopefully, you can set up your garage door for your convenience.
However, if it is difficult to follow the instructions above or in the manual, you can always rely on a garage door repair company. A professional garage door technician can professionally program a garage door opener remote no matter what model it is.